Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mentors

Reading 'Rocket Boys', by Homer Hickam, got me to thinking about the mentors in my life. Today I will write about three teachers who inspired me.

The first was my 8th grade US History teacher, Mrs. Goodhue, at Pacific Beach Jr. High School.I had no idea how much I enjoyed her as a teacher until I was transferred out of her class. Never knew wny.Instead, I was stuck in different class with bunch of rowdies. I thought I would go crazy!!! I desperately needed to get back into Goodhue's class, ASAP. When I told the kids in this noisy, out of control history class that I wanted to go back, they thought I was crazy. "Goodhue is too hard, this teacher so easy, why to back?" The real reason, I WAS BORED!!! Mrs. Goodhue challenged us. My first exposure to the Constitution was in her class. She was an inspiring teacher.

Pacific Beach Jr High today.





The next two mentors I had were at Mission Bay High School. In 1975, Mission Bay was grades 9-12. For some reason I decided to tackle Adv English. My 10th grade teacher was Ms. Starr. Half way through the first semester I decided did not like her. I had to write a paper EVERY WEEK!!! Most Thursday nights I was up late, sometimes writing until one am, waking up at 5:15am to go seminary, and then coming home for breakfast and the paper my mom had typed. Now, I am thankful for the love of great books she gave me. The first time I read Shakespeare was in her class. I memorized my first a set piece from Julius Caesar. I also read Oedipus Rex, Moll Flanders, and Calico Palace. By the end of my senior year I loved her and the expectation she had set for us. My other teacher was Ms. McSwan. Where Starr was serious and a little intimidating, McSwan was fun, but with the same expectations. They gave me a love of the written word and an introduction to 'dead white guys'.

Mission Bay High School today The best gift they gave me, a never-ending desire to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment